Monday, July 4, 2011

The Whole Truth of Europe

Last summer, after Andy left, I pulled out my bucket list, and I vowed to check things off. My first promise to myself was to go to Europe in a summer. Andy and I had planned the trip before, but just never actually committed to going- and I was determined to put if off no longer. 

As things have turned out, Andy came back, and we went to Europe together. We went on the trip that I had been planning all year (Thanks Andy!) and added a few days to visit Scotland for him.

The trip ended up being more than just checking things off a bucket list- more than just a dream come true. I was living in a fantasy land where every day was full of moments of pure happiness. I visited in the Vatican and was serenaded while drinking wine at a candle lit table. I walked the streets of Pompeii and drank Champagne in the land it was named after. I heard the bells of Notre Dame and saw the Aphrodite and Mona Lisa. I looked off the tower of a castle, and another castle, and another. I felt the breeze of Stonehenge and road a boat on a Scotland loch. I saw Wicked in London, and walked the rooftops of Paris.

I checked things off my bucket list that I didn't even know belonged on it. Every time we went out walking- it was a "happiness" walk. Just walking the streets and seeing buildings older than our country made me smile.

Having Andy with me was an incredible bonus to the whole thing. It was fun making decisions together, and relying on each other to figure things out. He is much better with a map than I am, but I am much more comfortable navigating through an airport. He is more adventurous with food, but I keep track of the schedule. He is the amazing photographer, but I take awesome photos of him. He reminded me to not worry so much, and I made sure we made it to the plane on time. We put it all out there every day- we were determined to enjoy every tour, to find the good in every city, and to soak in all we could.

We were living in a fantasy world, and I was really sad to leave it. I think one of my favorite moments was when Andy told me he could get used to "this traveling thing."  I would love to live in this fantasy world again.

No comments: