Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I never really knew Bradford. I said hello and 'nice to see you' a few times in life, but I never really knew him. The first time he and I actually had a conversation was a week before he died. It was amazing, but when he hugged me that night, I knew immediately that he was a man who cared deeply about others.

When he hugged me, he told me emphatically how glad he was that I was there again with Andy. The way he said it I knew had nothing to do with me- but had everything to do with how much he cared about my husband. He had known Andy for years, but in the time we were separated, he and Andy got to know each other as friends, instead of the friend-of-brother/little-brother-of-friend relationship they'd had before. 

And, even without knowing what would happen a week later, I knew the amazing man that was Bradford. I knew that he and Andy didn't spend a lot of time together, or talk very often, or even have much in common- but in two sentences Bradford showed me, a complete stranger, the depths of his love for anyone he knew.

The people who actually got to know this for more than 30 seconds of their life- how truly blessed you are.

Knowing how much Bradford made me feel special and loved in just a 30 second hug- explains the amazing children that I saw at his memorial yesterday. His daughter and son made us all laugh and cry. When the little girl explained how their new family is making adjustments and that they will be ok, I saw a strength well beyond her years. When she stepped to center stage and sang, "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow," from Annie a'Capella , I can't even express the amazement. And yes, the tears streamed down my face.

There is a new family out there tonight, grieving over the loss of an amazing father and brother, while at the same time doing the work to be a new family. They are an inspiration to me, and I don't even know them. But I am praying for them. 

No comments: