Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Who am I?

I was talking with a girl in my class today, and she is very sick, overwhelmed, busy, stressed, and to sum it all up- tired.  I have to admit last week I felt much the same way, minus the kidney stones part. We got to talking about how even when we have good things happening in our lives, when new good things are added- we have to readjust ourselves to fit that new part in.

I have thought about this a lot lately- what roles do I play? Which role is my priority? Do I devote the time to filling the roles I believe are most important? Do I fulfill my roles completely, or just partially?

I think this thought process came about a few weeks ago, when I was feeling very overwhelmed with everything on my plate. I sat down and made an individual to-do list for major roles in my life- and I ended up with 9 different lists. And none of those lists include the relationship roles I play (sister, daughter, aunt, friend, spouse?)

Looking back, I remember sitting in a conference and being struck by the idea of what priority really means. If something truly is our priority, we should put more _______ to it than to other things. We should put our money towards our priorities or our time to our priorities.

And I am thinking I need to re-evaluate some of my roles in life.

I have always prided myself on being a student. But I realize, that in my being a student, it is taking time and energy away from more important roles to me. After this ELL class ends in May, I don't plan on taking another class for awhile. I will still learn, but I will learn by focusing on my neglected role- myself. I love to read and can learn a lot that way.

I don't know how to rearrange my other roles, but I am looking at it.

I want my relationship roles to be more important than my professional roles-

No comments: