Friday, February 11, 2011

Forming Habits

I realize that I have a lot of worth while goals. At certain points this last year, I've woken up with all the energy in the world to conquer them all. Truth is- very few of them stuck.

Sure- my goal to make my bed every morning was set in June when I bought my new bedset- and I have accomplished it. It is so wonderful to come home each afternoon to a made bed.

In August, I was so excited to start my new life at my new school I made several charts to help me log my goals- exercise lists, menus, "take care of your soul" ideas, project deadlines- and honestly, I didn't do any of it for more than a week. Life caught up with me and things got crazy at the school. My personal life went from under control to out of control and really- I just didn't reach many of my goals.

In October, I decided on one goal to focus on- reading the Bible on a regular basis, and reading the whole thing in six months. I started reading in the evening before I went to bed. I haven't read it every day, but I didn't miss a day the first three weeks. The first time I missed a day, I missed it. Then I started reading in the morning too. Again, I haven't made it every day, but I do read most mornings. It is now part of my routine- and my goal is looking pretty good.

Two weeks ago, I set another goal. I wanted to go one week without eating out for dinner. (Not lunch- I'm never at my house on the weekends.) I went to the store, bought some groceries, and made a menu. It has now been 15 days and I haven't missed a meal. I am actually enjoying cooking and look forward to my meals. I don't miss eating out like I thought I would, though I do admit I was craving stuffed crust pizza this afternoon. It gives me left overs to eat at school, and I think it is saving me money.

So, I've decided the key to keeping goals for me is to focus on one goal at a time, until it becomes habit. Once one goal is a habit, then I can move on to the another goal.

I do admit- this is not easy for me. I feel so accomplished with my new eating habit, I am motivated to accomplish all of these other things. However, I know that doing it that way isn't going to work for me.

So- these are the habits I would like to develop... one at a time so they stick.

- Physical activity on a daily basis (even something small like a walk)
- Drink 8 cups of water a day (which will hopefully result in drinking less soda)
- Write/read four times a week for myself- not school
- Spend one day a week not doing any work or just watching TV- but do something different than normal

Even writing these, I think to myself, why can't I just do all of this now?

No comments: