Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cure for the Winter Blues- St. George

The winter blues hit me a few weeks ago. They are not fun.
The other day I was driving home from Salt Lake, and I was thinking about summer. I remembered how absolutely amazing it was to drive my Mustang down long stretches of open highway blaring any music I wanted.

And it dawned on me: Jamie, you have a three day weekend and the term ends Friday. That means no papers to grade over the weekend. You should head out of town.

I had a few criteria: no big cities w/ crazy traffic, close, warmer than Salt Lake. CJ gave me the idea of St. George. Perfect.

Andy and I headed out Friday after school. Andy drove to Nephi, and then I drove the rest of the way. It was so much fun to sing along with the radio.

Andy was entertained by the never ending sunset. Once it started, he crawled into the trunk for his camera. He'd take a few pictures, "Wow that's pretty." Then, ten minutes later the clouds would shift and the colors would change. The camera would come out again. It was actually a lot of fun to see him hanging out the window to try to get a better picture. (He may have actually dropped his camera lens out the window...)

I pulled off at some random exit and we both took more pictures. There was no schedule, no deadline, no stress. In fact, once it got dark I pulled off another random exit just to look at the stars. I put my hands out and spun in circles, because under the warm stars of southern Utah, that's what I felt like doing.

St. George itself was nothing spectacular. We went to a movie. We both got to read some of our books, and mine was pretty dang funny. Andy slept in and I enjoyed the hot tub.

Lunch was fun though. We took a picnic lunch to a "park." This park was really just red rock formations that people were climbing all over. We climbed up on one to eat. After, we hiked up to the top of the largest rock for more pictures. We'd been making fun of this park for not even having a single bench or picnic table. Apparently we were on the wrong side of the park. On the other side of the large rock was a whole pavilion, nice parking lots, and a few other tables. Oops!

I am obsessed with the grass the grows around the red rock. It was almost blue in color. I was absolutely amazed at it growing in random patches on the red sand.
Top 5:
1. The sky on the way down
2. Andy saying 'bless you' after he burped (what???)
3. The excitement I felt watching a movie! (I miss AZ horse races...)
4. Picnic with out a coat on!
5. Reading with no distractions

It was nice to get away, even for such a short time.

No comments: