Thursday, January 27, 2011

Roses touch my heart

I came home today to find a dozen pink roses in my bedroom. They are beautiful, and sweet, and honestly make me smile. I love them not just because they are roses, but because I know he isn't a fan of buying things that die. But, he did, for me.

I was asked a few weeks ago what tattoo I would get, if I were to get one. I know without a doubt what it would be- the Gemini symbol with a rose wrapped around it. (For an explanation of the Gemini feeling- read my blog from last week, and read a few of my poems in my other blog.)

Today, I explain my love of roses.

I see the rose as the perfect symbol of a creature's ability to have faults, and still be completely beautiful. It is the closest anything can come to being perfect: it can not help that it has thorns, but it rises above that and brings joy to me and beauty to the world.

I aspire to be that type of person- a person that does not focus on my faults, but that overcomes them and shines beautifully into the world.

In addition, the rose is a challenge to us all. If a person can love something, despite the thorns, then that love must be real, and that thing must be truly amazing.

These two quotes sum it up much better:

God created the rose in the likeness of a woman.
     The rose represents her beauty.
     The stem represents her strength.
     The petals are soft as her delicate skin, the fragrance so pure and so sweet.
     The leaves represent her arms outstretched, always loving and giving
     and for perfection --- He made her heart of pure gold.


So it is with many people.
Within every soul, there is a rose.

One of the greatest gifts a person can possess is to be able to reach past the thorns and find the rose within others. This is the truest, most innocent and gracious characteristic of love -- To know another person, including their faults, and recognize the nobility in their soul.

Thanks for the roses Andrew. 

No comments: