Sunday, November 28, 2010

Revenge speaks

Sometimes, I'd like to gather everyone who has wronged me into an auditorium. I'd like to line them up on stage in front of all their friends and family. And I would stand at a microphone, and call out their deeds. I would not tell lies or even give my opinions.  I would simply list what they did, and how those actions changed my life.

"You... you are the reason my door is locked, even when I'm home in the middle of the day."
"You... you are the reason I've made my blog private and changed all my settings on Facebook."
"You... you are the reason I don't go to drive-in movies."
"You... you are the reason..."


In my mind, everyone in the audience would BOO these people. Then, these people would feel bad for what they have done, and they will practically thank me for pointing out their flaws so that they can change.


And I know that this fantasy is completely unrealistic. 

Even if given the chance, I know I would never do this or call them out in any other way for several reasons.

First, I know it would make no difference. If a person needs their flaws pointed out, they probably wouldn't believe them.  (Like the woman at Disney on Ice who acknowledged she was being rude, but still said she refused to change her behavior.)

Second, I refuse to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing their hurtful actions changed me. They don't deserve to have that power. (When all a person wants is a reaction- why give it to them?)

Third, I realize that what I am saying is not completely true...

I am the reason I lock my doors. (I am a woman living alone- I want to be safe, not stupid.)
I am the reason I made my blog private. (I don't want to worry about saying something that will hurt a person I know used to read this.)
I am the reason I don't go to drive-ins or see certain movies. (I know it will conjure up memories that I'd rather not relive.)

So, even though I have moments when I'd like to blame others and take my revenge, I'll keep this in my imagination.

And as a small post on my blog.  :)  (At least I didn't name names right?)  

P.S. If you can actually read this, you would NOT be standing on that stage. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad I'm not on the stage! :)
I've had a similar fantasy to this, actually, so you're not alone! :) Mine might also involve kicking, though... lol

You're farther in your thinking than me; I still prefer to blame other people sometimes. lol

Unknown said...

Hahaha!!! Kicking... that may be an option if public humiliation doesn't work. :)