Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday's Scripture

A little story of my faith-
When I first met Andy, he told me a story that I honestly, barely remember.  However, it ended with a man (who had questions) being told to just open the Bible, and he would find his answer. The man opened to a random page, and read the perfect verse for his situation.

I've never forgotten that last part, but I remember not really believing Andy at the time.

Fast forward five years. I was miserable, depressed, sad, angry, confused, and a whole bunch of other negative emotions.  It was the middle of the night and I was home alone- crying in my misery.  I was wondering why I couldn't be happy in my perfect life. I wanted my misery to end, but I didn't know how to make that happen.

And in my head, I heard Andy's voice, "Just open the Bible, and you will find the answer."

I opened to a random page, and started reading.
Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

I repeated those words over and over again until I fell asleep.  And the next day, I was at peace.  Shortly after, it was discovered (by a completely random mistake!) that the medication I was taking was causing severe depression.  I quit taking it, and have never again felt the misery I felt that night.

I am not saying I have not felt depressed, sad, angry, confused, etc. Anyone who knows me knows that I have had my share of heartache since that time.  I would being lying if I tried to say I've always felt peace.  I can say honestly, I've never felt as miserable as I did that night. When I'm broken now, in the back of my mind I am comforted knowing it will not last.  With God's grace, I will be healed.

As a side note, I don't know that this method is approved for finding God's answers. I've actually read an article that said just randomly opening the Bible to hope for an answer is a bad things to do. So, if you are offended by my post, I'm sorry.

I know this: it worked for me that night. It worked for me this summer. It worked for me just last week. I know that it will work for me in the in the future when I truly need an answer.  I am thankful for that knowledge.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had one of those moments myself--when I opened up my Book of Mormon, the scripture I put my finger on said "And thus ye see that ye cannot destroy this our faith." Brilliant. I wrote it everywhere and looked at it every day for months. I still do when I have hard days. I don't think God minds blessing us that way; maybe He knew it'd be the only way we'd hear what we needed.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know someone else understands these moments. And, Chantile- thank you for your friendship. I really like hearing from you. :)